Strategy Design Consultant
WWF (The World Wide Fund for Nature) is an International Non-Governmental Organization that deals with conservation of nature. Our mission is to stop the degradation of the planet’s natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature.
WWF Africa seeks the services of a consultant/consulting firm with extensive experience in strategy design to work with the Regional Team to finalise the design of the Africa Conservation Framework.
Scope of Work:
Key activities and outputs for this consultancy include:
- Conduct an in-depth review of WWF Africa’s current portfolio of programs and initiatives at country, landscape, and regional level. What’s working, what’s not working? Where are the gaps? What are the implications for delivering conservation at scale?
- Assess current delivery/operations framework identify gaps and opportunities, and suggest potential areas to enhance alignment and delivery.
- Assess the capacity and governance structures and suggest potential improvements to enhance coordination and effectiveness of these projects, programmes and initiatives.
- Assess the degree and effectiveness of the way WWF works with partners in the current portfolio, and suggest potential models to strengthen collaborations.
Setting Conservation Priorities:
- Map the conservation priorities from the country and landscape strategies to the global goals and the results from the horizon scan;
- Develop a comprehensive theory of change (including goals, outcomes, targets, and indicators) that demonstrates horizontal integration (between thematic priorities) and vertical integration (across scales – country, landscape, region, and global).
Design Operations and Delivery Model for the Conservation Priorities
- Propose an effective operational and governance structure that is fit for purpose for the conservation priorities identified above
- Develop a costing for the structure to deliver the Framework.
- Harmonise Indicators for Monitoring and Reporting: Develop a monitoring and reporting framework that links country, landscape, and regional priorities with the global goals.
- Resource Mobilization: Develop a resource mobilisation plan to deliver the Framework.
- External Partnerships: Propose external partnerships to support the implementation of the Framework.
- Final write-up of the Africa Conservation Framework.
This assignment will be desk based, including a detailed review of internal and external documents, discussions (virtually) with key stakeholders, participation in virtual workshops and meetings, and consolidating outputs and coordinating correspondence as necessary. The consultant will report to the Director of Conservation Impact - Africa, and will work closely with the Africa Regional Director and other members of the Africa regional team, key members of country office teams, and other network partners.
Deliverables and Timelines:
The consultant will deliver the following high-quality deliverables in a timely manner.
- Inception report outlining with detailed workplan (15 September)
- Framework Components (30 October)
- Portfolio Review
- Mapping of Conservation Priorities and Theory of Change
- Proposed Delivery Model
- Monitoring and Reporting
- Resource Mobilization Plan
- External Partnerships Plan
- Final Africa Conservation Framework (20 November)
All deliverables will be in English with any alterations in timelines to be agreed in writing.
Skills and Qualifications:
This is a critical and time sensitive assignment. In addition to demonstrable experience conducting similar assignments, the consultant/team is expected to have the following skills and expertise:
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work well with people and independently coordinate complex assignments
- Ability to analyse and synthesize large volumes of complex information and communicate them clearly and concisely
- Extensive and Demonstrable experience in strategy design and assessments
- French language proficiency (desired)
- Experience working with environmental NGOs in Africa (desired).
How to Apply?
Proposals must be submitted by 26th August 2020 to the following contact to be considered. Proposals should include:
- Proposed tasks and outputs (methodology);
- Team composition, including summary of expertise and experience;
- Proposed schedule of work (activities and milestones);
- Estimated level of effort and budget;
- Availability to conduct the assignment.
Administrative Coordinator - Operations, Africa
For questions regarding this request for proposals please contact Naomi Makokha (email@example.com) or Jeff Worden (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 19th August 2020.